Friday, April 1, 2011

Here comes Dick!

I have a theory of Cartoons, Comic strips and cartoon characters. Cartoon characters are not unlike actors and actresses in that you can use the same character for many different parts. Zak for instance has been part of my life since the early 1980's. For years I kept trying to created one strip after another. One was where Zak played a town sheriff in modern day Colorado and I actually got about ten strips done of that idea. From there I kept coming up with one job related comic strip to another and finally just gave up and got caught up with raising kids and working. About six months ago I bought a light table to do comic strips on and it sat there for another 4 months and one day for fun I created a fake person I called Ira Cash as a retired guy who was a cartoonist and set him up with his very own face book page. Ira needed a cartoon strip to do so I created Bube Tube and made Ira my fake face book person as the cartoonist of the strip. The original concept was about a television station in Baja Brighton Colorado and all the many people who work there. I was really rusty from not drawing anything in over 20 years but pushing my self was able to start finishing one strip a day. That was my goal to actually create and publish on the internet one comic strip per day for an indefinate period of time.
Recently, having made face book friends with other cartoonists from around the world and view their stuff came to the conclusion that comic strips are an American medium and most of the cartoons from else where are decidedly anti American slant even though they do not think so. So yesterday I started adding in editorial cartoons with the comic strips. And that folks is as they say where we stand today. I will be posting daily on this here blog at least one comic strip every day from now until they pry the number two pencil from my cold dead fingers. Hopefully I can bring a smile to you on a daily basis. There will be times when my wife Ruth and I are camping or just out of town for a period of time like next week, but generally speaking this is my personal goal in life to prove to my self I can still create gags and comic strips. I do not get paid for this and it is purely a hobby and as such I have total control of the content, the quality and the quantity of my creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment